Saturday, January 18, 2020

Moving the Goal Posts at the Jackie Robinson Museum

Originally announced to open in 2010, the anticipated debut of the Jackie Robinson Museum was revised a year ago to December 2019. I recently went to the Jackie Robinson Foundation's website and the museum is now—


It occurs to me as I write my third post on the topic that some readers might find the updates mean-spirited, perhaps even racist. Not so.

As a New Yorker with a car, I have driven past "One Hudson Square" numerous times on my way to the Holland Tunnel. When I have, particularly if I am stuck in traffic, I looked at the signs proclaiming the "Future home of The Jackie Robinson Museum."

October 2014 Google Street View used through Creative Commons license

The signage prompts the question, 'Cool, but when?' The answers have not only been disappointing, they have strained credulity. I wish nothing but the best for the museum; that it open as soon as possible, that the exhibits are smart and well-presented, that the narrative is honest and inspiring.

This year, now opening this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment