Friday, May 31, 2013

Post-Game Show

The Mets are still not a good team* but even the most soured fan had to enjoy the four-game, home-and-away sweep of the Yankees this week.  Beyond the pleasure derived from the outcome, I was also amused by Yankee fans' post-game comments.  There was a remarkable uniformity, as if a new memo was distributed on a daily basis.

May 27, 2013

"The Mets got lucky."

May 28, 2013

"The Yankees have ten players on the disabled list."

May 29, 2013

"We've won 27 championships; you've won twice."

May 30, 2013

"You know, it is always the goal but the Yankees
can't be expected to win the division every year."

I would love to hear a psychologist's deconstruction of this progression.  I dismiss your accomplishment.  I rationalize my failure.  I disassociate from the present.  I lower my expectations.


* Update: June 3—To prove the point, the Mets followed up their sweep of the Yankees by losing a three-game series to the worst team in baseball, the Florida Marlins; 5-1, 8-1 and 11-6.  The Mets' record has improved .002 since T-Bone saw them two weeks ago.


No comments:

Post a Comment